Saturday, June 16, 2012

Dairy Free Coconut Ice Cream

Pin It
I know it has been far too long since my last ice cream post but it’s not my fault! I’ve made two batches since this last gem and my husband, oh my husband, has eaten them before I’ve gotten any photos! The concept of making food and photographing it before eating is completely beyond him. So I know its not a good an excuse, but it’s all I got. 

So in the last few weeks I’ve have had some things happening in my life, some family things, some personal things, and some things that still need more things. I’m sure there will be more to come on what those things are. But for now, one of those things is my effort to avoid dairy. This whole avoid dairy thing in no easy task! My biggest problem is just forgetting that it’s my goal. I am working on it though so this week I bring you dairy free coconut ice cream!


But before I get on with the ice cream, I had to share a sneak peak into my garden. The weather is finally starting to improve and we have already gotten some great harvests from our lettuce and spinach but so much more is in the works.

Pumpkin swirls, our pumpkin plants are crawling like crazy.

Yellow squash, these will be ready soon!
Corn stalks growing tall!
So this weeks ice cream is a completely different approach then my previous post. This ice cream is rich and creamy and equally as delicious as my previous recipes that use milk and cream. It does freeze harder them the full dairy versions, so eat it fresh if you can!

Dairy Free Coconut Ice Cream
Makes 1 quart

2 13.5 oz cans of coconut milk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup toasted coconut
1/4 cup shopped chocolate, dairy free

Directions
Toast coconut flakes in a 350° oven for 4-6 minutes or until golden in color. Give them a good shake if they are coloring unevenly mid way through.



In a medium saucepan, combine one can of coconut milk and the sugar, heat over medium heat until it reaches a low simmer. While that is heating up, in a small bowl combine cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of coconut milk from your second can. Whisk together until smooth, add in the egg yolks and whisk until incorporated.

When your coconut milk reaches a simmer, slowly add in your cornstarch and egg mixture whisking constantly. Remove pan from the heat once your mixture has thickened, this will go very quick to stir constantly and keep an eye on it.

When you remove your coconut milk mixture from the stove, pour it through a fine mesh strainer into a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining coconut milk from the second can of coconut milk and the vanilla.

Chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.

Churn according to your machine’s recommendations. In my Kitchen Aid mixer ice cream attachment, this took only 18 minutes.



When your ice cream is ready, transfer it to a freezer safe container and fold in 3/4 cups of toasted coconut, reserving the rest for garnishing later, and the chocolate shavings.

Eat immediately or store in for freezer for up to 3 days. This will freeze hard so let it sit on the counter for 5-10 minutes before eating.

Top with homemade magic shell and toasted coconut.

Homemade Magic Shell
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup coconut oil

Melt chocolate and coconut oil in a heat-proof bowl over a simmering pot of water until smooth.  This chocolate sauce is solid at room temperature, so store in a glass jar and heat it up in the microwave before using. 

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment