Wednesday, May 9, 2012

A Rustic Swiss Chard Tart

Pin It

I like to consider myself a Good Eater.  I’m not necessarily an Adventurous Eater, but I am always enthusiastic about trying new vegetables or flavor combinations.  For example, last Fall I stumbled upon a knobbly, potato-like tuber at the farmer’s market called artichoke root. The artichoke root is not a charming vegetable; they are, however delicious.  For some reason though, swiss chard scares me a little bit.  When I meander through the produce section at the grocery store, past all those leafy greens piled high, I always go for kale or spinach.  I can’t help but notice how pretty the rainbow colored chard stalks are, and yet, I go for the kale.  I know kale can stand up to roasting and sautéing, and will be great raw.  But what am I supposed to do with chard?  Can I throw it in a slaw?  Will it get all weird in soup?   


Well, last weekend I overcame my fear of chard.  Heather and I got to the farmer’s market after much of the produce had been picked over, except for the chard.  Giant chard, nonetheless.  Two of these leafy greens could have made one (petite) mini-skirt.  With a humongous bunch of chard in hand, I began thinking about how I could sneak this into my dinner.  Pie crust.  When in doubt, put it in a pie.  And shoot for rustic. 

I am happy to report that I will be bringing home chard again, because it is just as delicious and versatile as kale and spinach.

Chow!
Taryn

Swiss Chard Tart
Adapted from Martha Stewart

Olive Oil Crust
Makes 3 tarts large enough for 2 people to share
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lard
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
pinch red pepper flakes
1/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup whiskey (or vodka, or water)

Directions
Combine dry ingredients.  Using your hands or a pastry cutter, gently work the lard into the dry ingredients until it resembles course meal.  Add olive oil, water, and whiskey.  Gently knead just until dough forms, adding water as needed.  Refrigerate for about an hour or overnight. 

Swiss Chard Filling:
1 onion
1 large bunch of swiss chard
4 cloves of garlic
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup green olives
3/4 cup feta, plus extra for sprinkling on top
1 egg
2 tablespoons fresh herb medley
8 oz ricotta
juice of 1 lemon
1 egg for egg wash

Directions
Thinly chop chard and onions and sauté in olive oil over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes.  Add garlic, salt, and pepper.  Add chicken stock and reduce heat, allowing vegetables to simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until tender.  Add feta.  Remove from heat and set aside.

In a separate bowl, combine ricotta, chopped olives, herbs, and lemon juice.

Divide dough into thirds.  Roll out each third into large circles, about the size of a dinner plate. 

Fill each round with one third of the ricotta and vegetables, leaving about a 3-inch perimeter of crust for folding.  Sprinkle with feta.  Fold dough over filling in small sections, gently pressing the crust into itself as you go.


We topped ours with thinly sliced rounds of sweet turnips.  It looks pretty, but is totally optional.  Lastly, brush each crust with a thin layer of egg wash, making sure to get the wash into the creases to get a good seal.

Bake at 400* for 25-30 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment